Vandalism-the Do and Don'ts of vandalism
Vandalism can be a serious problem for homeowners and businesses. Graffiti can deface and soil both structures and reputations of the structure, while property destruction can cause risk of bodily harm and security issues. Here are a few do's and don'ts in the event you or your business experiences vandalism.
- Hose or wash egg damage from building exterior as soon as possible.
- Vacuum glass particles from carpets and upholstery as soon as possible to prevent possible
- Save containers which can say the ingredients of spilled inks, cosmetics and paints to help the figure the chemicals/tools needed to properly clean the damage at hand
- Attempt to remove ink, paint or cosmetic stains yourself.
- Operate damaged lamps, lights or other appliances.
- Discard furniture wood chips, broken pieces from porcelain,Glass, furniture or art objects to prevent injury form potentially happening.
Of course, in the case of a vandalism, the proper authorities should be contacted to investigate and try to prevent future vandalism from ever happening again.
However, when it comes to making it "Like it never even happened." think SERVPRO Cedar City/Fillmore for all your remediation needs. Yup, we do that too.
Tips to stay safe while Having a Campfire
The weather is starting to warm up and with chilly nights you may way to add some of that warmth to your night. If you decide to have a nightly fire to enjoy those cool temps, here are some tips to help keep your house and your family safe.
- Keep fires at least 25 feet away from any structure and anything that could potentially go up in flames.
- Always clear away any dry leaves, low hanging branches,shrubs and any debris which can go up in flames.
- Avoid starting fires on windy nights/days. It is much easier for fires to spread in the wind.
- Always keep a close eye on pets and Small children and animals near campfires to prevent potential harm to your children and your pets..
- Never use gasoline or other combustible liquids to start or boost a fire up.
- Always keep a bucket of water, shovel or a up to date fire extinguisher to quickly put out a fire if it tends to get out of hand.
- Always make sure the fire is completely out before you leave the fire site.
- Next, Always make sure someone is watching the fire and it is never left unattended always put it out if your leaving it is not for long
Staying safe while cooking
The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is being left unattended and most of these incidents involve the stove. Here are some tips to help remove the chance of a kitchen accident.
- Create a kid-free zone of at least 3 feet area around the stove and where hot foods or drinks are made.
- Always be alert. Never use the stove or stove top if you are tired or have consumed any drugs or alcohol.
- When using the stove always stay in the kitchen. If you need to leave for any circumstance or amount of time always turn off the stove.
- Always keep anything that could catch fire away from the stove top. Including, oven mitts, food packaging, towels or curtains, Loose clothing articles.
- If you do have a small grease fire you can always smother it by putting a lid over the pan and never ever use water to put it out.
If you ever have doubt about a fire in your home always call 9-1-1.
Air Duct Cleaning in commercial buildings
The responsibility of maintaining a commercial building seems to be never ending. There are a myriad of things that have to be done to keep a commercial building looking new. SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore can help you with many of these services. At times cleaning air ducts in some commercial buildings can require the use of specialty equipment designed to help clean some jobs that are big enough that regular equipment that just can’t quite manage to do. SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore has this equipment and the specialties clean your commercial air duct cleaning needs in a quick and professional manner. We can also take care of your residential air ducts as well, for more information call SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore at 435-251-9241
Smoke Alarms: Life Savers
Installation of a Fire alarm can be a task you can complete by yourself in a Few simple steps
Smoke alarms save lives when properly installed and maintained, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
In homes, smoke alarms should be in every bedroom and on every level including the basement. In office and commercial environments, check your state requirements or contact your local Fire Marshal to help ensure all codes are met.
Test smoke alarms monthly by using the test button. Smoke alarms with non-replaceable batteries need the entire smoke alarm unit replaced every ten years. Other alarms need batteries replaced every year and the unit itself should be replaced every ten years.
If the alarm is sounding, it is signaling low battery, take the proper steps to replace the unit or the batteries immediately. Do not ever disable or remove the battery from an alarm. Almost half of all fires where smoke alarms were present did not activate had missing or disconnected batteries.
In larger commercial facilities, hardwired or wireless smoke alarms offer benefits such as not needing to be tested as often and activating throughout the entire building if smoke is detected in just one area.
if you require assistance installing, testing or changing batteries in your smoke alarms, contact your local fire department, an electrician or the American Red Cross.
Be sure your home or workplace has a fire emergency plan in place and conduct regular fire drills. For more information on Emergency Preparedness, feel free to contact your local SERVPRO Cedar City/Fillmore any time.
More Than Just a Restoration Company.
SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore is often thought of as a great disaster restoration company, but we are so much more than that. We can take care of several different cleaning needs. This last summer we cleaned fire retardant off of several homes in the Brian Head area. We deodorized the interior of some homes as well. Some other services that we offer are, carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning, tile, drapes, blinds, Ceilings, walls, hardwood floors, air ducts, deodorization, biohazard, and vandalism clean up. We can take care of your needs for your home or business regardless of the size of the building.
Emergency Ready Plan
SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore offers several services for commercial buildings. One such service is the SERVPRO Emergency Ready Program (ERP). This is a free program that is offered to assist businesses in being prepared for a disaster. Floods or fires can cause major problems for businesses. Some of these problems cause businesses to close, due to having to close for a time while repairs are being made, having to restock inventory, and the amount of time that it takes to get back to operating condition. Having an ERP done for your commercial building helps gather information such as the location of gas, electrical, and water shut offs along with information about the size of your building and possible hazardous materials that are stored in your building. Knowing these things helps us be able to respond more quickly and it can be helpful to people who work at the building as well.
For more information call SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore at 435-251-9241
Biohazard clean up
SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore can clean up many types of disasters. Some of these disasters are less than comfortable to talk about. An example of such a job would be cleaning up biohazard messes in a home. These can range from blood to fecal matter. SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore is experienced and equipped to handle these types of jobs. We also have the sensitivity to be able to work in this environment while maintaining professional and courteous attitudes. This is important as there are times when the nature of this work can be very sensitive and painful to the client who has called us.
To find out more call SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore 435-251-9241
Biohazard cleaned correctly
Why is it so important to have a biohazards cleaned properly? The answer to this question to some may be obvious but people often take on such an endeavor by themselves with no protective gear or professional knowledge of how to properly clean biohazards in their home. The use of proper protective equipment is very important as many types of biohazards can carry contaminates that are hazardous to those who come in contact with them. Preventing the spread of these contaminants is very important and proper cleaning methods and products are essential in cleaning a biohazard so that a home will be safe for people once the biohazard is gone.
To have SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore clean up bio-hazard problems in your home
Mold? In a dry climate?
Simply put mold is not something that you want growing in your home. Many people in Southern Utah do not have large concerns about mold and wonder why we spend so much time talking about it. Southern Utah is a dry desert climate many people think that mold is not a problem here. Often mold is not as big of a problem in Southern Utah as it is in more humid areas, but there are situations home owners encounter that drastically increase the potential for mold growth. In Southern Utah one of the biggest causes of mold growth in homes comes from flooding or water leaks in homes that are not mitigated properly.
People often want to save money especially when it comes to an unplanned emergency expense. This is very understandable as proper mitigation for water problems in a home is not always inexpensive. One thing to consider in this case is that the expense of proper mold remediation is usually more expensive than the cost of water mitigation, and the preventable mold growth in your home can create an environment that is hazardous to your health.
When you encounter unwanted water problems in your home it is important to have the professionals at SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore properly mitigate them so that you can avoid the hazards of mold growth from improper mitigation or the water problems. If you find mold in your home, a water leak, or flooding in your home don’t hesitate, call SERVPRO of Cedar City/Fillmore at 435-251-9241.