Big Winter Storm Safety Preparation.
Big winter storms can be deadly, even when they are not they can cause a lot of problems as well as health and safety hazards. Here are a few tips that can help you weather the bad weather.
- Obtain alternative power sources such as a generator to keep essential appliances running if the power goes out. Especially if you are dependent upon medical devices that require electricity.
- Maintain an appropriate supply of fuel to run the power source for a few days.
- Charge your phones prior to the arrival of the storm and avoid excessive use of phones if you do not have a way to charge them.
- Obtain or keep extra food on hand that can be prepared even if you cannot use your stove.
- Avoid unnecessary travel prior to roads being cleared of snow.
- Avoid traveling in flooded areas if possible.
- Ensure that you have alternative ways to stay warm if the heating system in your home is not operable due to loss of power.
- Freeze gallon jugs of water that can be put in your fridge to help keep food cold.
- Use some of it in a cooler to keep food cold.
- Have flashlights with fresh batteries or candles and a way to light them.